Ah, 2020. I think as a whole, collective unit, humanity can agree that 2020 sucked. Big time. Many of us spent months in isolation, there was so much illness and death, and the suffering and pain just seemed to keep on coming. We’re all filled with this deep gratitude that 2020 is leaving, and for good reason. But, with every bit of suffering, there is also joy. This is not to diminish the absolute gravity of the losses that have been experienced this year. I just want to spread a little bit of light and joy during “these unprecedented times” (as every boss and company says). No matter how hard it gets, there is still hope. There is always, always something to be grateful for. Here are 20 good things that happened in 2020 that you can be grateful for.
Disclaimer: this post does contain affiliate links! That means if you purchase a product using the links below, I will be given a small commission, with no further cost to you!
- Drive-in movie theaters made an unexpected comeback.
- Tabitha Brown encouraged us to do it “like so like that” and to do what brings us joy, “’cause that’s your business.”
- Parks and Recreation had a quarantine special and made me ugly cry.
- John Krasinski encouraged positivity and love with Some Good News.
- We reconnected with friends and family with virtual game nights and Zoom happy hours and birthday parties.
- Crayola released a box of crayons with diverse skin colors, encouraging children and adults alike to embrace the beauty of diversity. You can get your own boxfor less than $5 here!
- Ahead of the holidays, The World Health Organization assured us that Santa Claus is immune to COVID-19 and Dr. Anthony Fauci later elaborated that he had vaccinated Santa himself!
- Hamilton was released on Disney+.
- Parasite was the first international film to win Best Picture at the Oscars.
- DJ D-Nice created Club Quarantine as a way to bring us together while apart.
- Ratatouille: The Musical brought Broadway-level theatre to our phones on TikTok.
- Taylor Swift released not one, but two surprise albums.
- There were virtual reunions for the casts of beloved TV shows and movies, including Back to the Future, Lizzie McGuire, Legally Blonde, Father of the Bride, The Parent Trap, The Lord of the Rings, The Goonies, and more!
- LOTS of pets were adopted and fostered.
- Dolly Parton helped fund the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine among her other accomplishments this year. If America ever becomes a monarchy, I formally nominate Dolly Parton as Queen. That’s how it works, right?
- The first Black Bachelor was announced. Better late than never, I guess?
- Schitt’s Creek had one of the best TV finales in history. This is also a fact, not an opinion. The show also swept the house at the 2020 Emmy’s, further proving it is perfect.
- We binge-watched Tiger King. Or… you did… I still haven’t watched it.
- People still got married during the pandemic (we saw Zoom weddings, physically distant weddings, smaller weddings, etc.), proving that the power of love cannot be put out.
- You stuck around, no matter how difficult the year was. Thank you for staying. The world is better with you in it.
So here’s to 2020. The year that pushed us all to our limits. The year that forced us to grow and adapt and roll with the many, many, many punches that were thrown at us. And yes, good riddance to 2020, you definitely won’t be missed. But also, in a way, thank you for the good we experienced. May 2021 be kinder to us all, and may we take the inner strength we found in 2020 into all the new years to come.